How Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union Can Serve You
If you’re looking for a local credit union in Fairbanks, you’ve come to the right place. Here at Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union, we’re dedicated to serving the local community and helping our members keep their money safe, sound, and under control.
Established in 1960, Spirit of Alaska is the largest locally-owned and operated credit union in Fairbanks. All of our branches are in town, as well as our lending departments and leadership staff. We celebrated our 50th anniversary in 2010. Today, Spirit of Alaska serves approximately 9,000 members and we’re looking forward to another 50 years of excellent service to our community.
Our Mission Statement
Through empowered professional staff, community involvement, and innovation, Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union provides its members with superior service, stability, and profitable growth. As the largest locally owned and operated credit union in Fairbanks, we are committed to providing you with state-of-the-art technology and the best service possible to meet your individual financial needs.
We hold our Annual Meeting in April of every year. Look for notifications of the date on your statement, in branches and on this website.
How We Began
Spirit of Alaska Federal Credit Union (Spirit of Alaska) was founded in 1960. In the beginning, it was a small organization located in the Constitution Hall’s Viking Room at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. When it opened, Spirit of Alaska had $32, stored in a metal cash box.
The driving force behind the credit union’s founding was four teachers: Niilo Koponen, Don Wheat, Stan Sailors, and Bill O’Dell. These four teachers and friends weren’t satisfied with the two banks in town. So, they created a financial institution by members for members. In 1960 the “Greater Fairbanks Teacher’s Credit Union” was open for service! Read the full story to today…
Are you ready to Become a Member?
Credit Unions operate through a charter that defines our “field of membership”. You can become a Spirit of Alaska member if you qualify as any of the following:
- Any person who lives, works, or worships within the Fairbanks North Star Borough.
- Employees and students of public, private and parochial schools, high schools, and institutions of higher learning north of the Alaska Range.
- Persons retired as pensioners or annuitants from the above employment.
- Alumni of colleges and universities located within the field of membership of this credit union; members of their immediate families; and organizations of such persons.
- Members of the Golden Valley Electric Association.
- Immediate family members of current credit union members.