Why pick Prime Checking?
- You keep some money in your checking account “just in case”…
- You like to write checks from time to time…
- You’ve been thinking about getting a safe deposit box…
- You don’t mind online statements…
- You want to earn some competitive interest, without tracking your debit card swipes…
If you keep extra money in your checking account, write checks, and don’t want to count debit transactions, Prime Checking might be the right account for you.
Avoid any account maintenance costs by keeping your balance above $250.00 and earn interest if you keep $1000 or more in your account! It’s a great reward for responsible spending and accessing your accounts online.
Apply online or come into any branch!
Interest-bearing electronic account that allows you to write checks
- New checking accounts receive a free box of checks ($30 value)
- Qualify for a two year 50% discount on a safe deposit box
- Comes with debit card and online banking through e-Teller.
- No Minimum Balance required. Start your account with $0, $10, or $1,000.
- No fee to use Bill Pay
- Overdraft Protection available
Spirit of Alaska for the win! I've been with them since 1998 and still love them!- A.G., Facebook Review
Account Type Min. Bal. to avoid fee Bal. to earn Dividends Dividend Rate APY*
Prime Checking ** Tier 1
$250.00 $1000.00 - $10,000.00 .25% .25%
Prime Checking Tier 2
$250 $10,000.01 and up .05% .05%
*Annual Percentage Yield. Current as of 26 May 2018. Refer to our Pricing Guide (PDF) for all fees. Fees may reduce earnings. Rates are subject to change at any time.
**Federal law requires us to verify all identities when opening new accounts. If you are applying with a joint applicant, their consent is implied when the application is submitted with the on-line checking account application.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a minimum balance to open?
No. There’s no minimum balance to open. However, you must maintain a minimum balance of $250 to avoid a $10 monthly maintenance fee.
Can I write as many checks as I want on this account?
Yes, you have unlimited checking privileges with Prime Checking.
How do I order new checks?
You can order new checks through our online banking portal e-Teller, or you can speak to any Spirit of Alaska representative over the phone at any branch. They can order checks for you at a minimal cost.
Can I use a debit card with this account?
Yes, all of our checking accounts come with a free debit card and access to online banking.
How can I waive the fee on this account?
Maintain a balance of $250 from month to month.
I like receiving my statements in the mail to review. Does this account offer paper statements?
No, this account requires you to sign up to receive online statements.
- Is there a minimum balance to open?