Spirit of Alaska FCU is committed to protecting our members from scam attempts over the phone.
This alert is for your awareness and financial health.
Potential Phone Scam
Reported scam attempts begin with a phone call to a member. Usually, the number is “spoofed” or disguised to look like it originates from our main phone line. Members may be given any of the following scenarios, but they are not limited to these examples:
- A fraud issue needs to be resolved
- A card needs to be closed or re-issued
- Maintenance needs to be done on the member’s account
- Online banking access needs to be updated
Members should be suspicious of any phone call claiming to be from Spirit of Alaska staff and requesting banking information. It is most likely fraudulent.
We will NEVER REQUEST the below items over the phone from a member. We strongly recommend our members hang up and call back at 907-459-5900 if you feel uncomfortable in any way – or – if any of the below information is requested from you over the phone:
- Account numbers
- Online banking usernames and passwords
- 2-step Verification Codes
- Debit card or credit card information
- Answers to your e-Teller security questions
- If you receive a call from a person claiming to be a Spirit of Alaska FCU staff member, you can hang up and call 907-459-5900 directly as a precaution.
- When you call the credit union, we may request your over-the-phone password – or – ask questions about your recent account activity or products you hold with us for the purposes of identity verification.
- Never give your over-the-phone password (or any password!) to anyone outside of the credit union, as it is a verification of your identity to the credit union, and can be used to access funds and other sensitive information regarding your accounts.
- If you do receive a scam call as described above, please report it to the credit union.
Please see additional information on combating fraud on your accounts:
Protecting Yourself from Identity Theft
I been get scram in a text saying something wrong with my account. I don not open it at all I deleted it at once it have been done too me several times.
You are taking the correct action, Karen. Many people in our community are experiencing this same type of scam. Thank you for sharing.