Renovation & Construction
You see the potential, and are ready to see your dream home come to life.
Spirit of Alaska offers committed homeowners in the community the option to renovate their home themselves, whom we term as owner-builders.
We give you choices to complete the home on your own, with the help of sub-contractors or you can hire a contractor to manage the project entirely. We have the right type of loan to make sure everything goes smoothly with your project, whether you’re looking to buy land and build a new home, renovate an older home or improve the one you own.
Read about Ray, who took our renovation loans in a new direction…
Apply now from your computer, mobile phone, tablet, or in person with one of our friendly loan officers. More questions? Contact Mortgage Loans at 907-459-5974.
Finance new home construction, or renovate an existing home.
- New Construction or Major Renovation
- Get one year to complete the project
- Owner Builders: Build up equity and do work yourself
- Regular consultations with our mortgage department
- Foreclosures and non-conforming homes eligible
"You guys rock. We can't wait to show you pictures when we are done building!"- M.S.
After the construction or renovations are complete, we will help in transitioning the construction loan into a traditional fixed-rate loan.
Spirit of Alaska’s Mortgage Department does not publish our home loan program rates online. Please call 907-459-5974 for a rate quote.
All mortgage programs listed may be subject to change without notice, and are offered on approved credit. All offers of credit + conditions required will be issued in writing upon approval.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I really get a loan to renovate an older or foreclosed home?
Yes! We specialize in owner builder renovation loans, otherwise known as Mini-construction Loans. We will work with you to:
- Purchase a foreclosed or non-conforming home
- Do major renovations to an existing home
- Borrow funds to complete a partially finished home
We walk with you through the construction process every step of the way. You can complete all the work yourself, hire a contractor, or do some of it and sub-contract out the rest. Call and setup an appointment with a loan officer at 907-459-5974 to get started.
I want to finance the purchase of undeveloped land—do you do land loans?
Yes, we do offer land loans with various options. Please contact our Mortgage Department at 907-459-5974 to make an appointment or ask questions.
What will I need to bring with me when I apply?
Here is a list of items that we typically need from you to get started with your application**:
- Social security numbers for all borrowers on the loan application.
- Most recent 30 days of pay stubs / awards letters for all income.
- Most recent 3 years federal tax returns – this includes all schedules and W2, 1099-R, & K-1 attachments.
- Most recent 3 months consecutive statements (or most recent quarterly statement) for all asset accounts listed on the loan application (such as checking, savings, retirement, stocks & bonds, etc.).
- If you are applying to purchase: landlord contact information to verify your most recent 36 months rental payment history.
- If you are applying to refinance: copy of your mortgage statement—if not financed with us at Spirit of Alaska FCU—to help us verify the full housing expense (taxes & other maintenance fees are not always reported to the credit bureaus or may not be included in your current payment).
- Construction specific item(s): Construction cost breakdown, description of materials, any inspections, contracts, invoices, quotes, etc. that you have received to date.
(**certain items such as bankruptcy + discharge papers, divorce decrees, child support agreements, self-employment, and/or rental investments may also require documentation, when applicable)
How long is my pre-qualification appointment?
Generally, appointments take less than an hour.
How do Construction Draws work?
Once you have opened a construction loan, you can “draw” from your available construction loan balance to pay for construction material and labor costs as they are completed throughout the building process. You can submit a completed Construction Draw Form on any day. However, draw checks will be processed for pickup up on Tuesdays and Fridays. Please contact the Mortgage Department at 907-459-5974 for more details.
How long does the home loan process take?
This process will typically take about 30-60 days, depending on the type of loan. Please contact our Mortgage Department for more details at 907-459-5974.
My loan payment changed this year. Why is that?
Home loan payments change every year as we analyze the escrow amount to service the loan that year, which depends on the specific costs of taxes and insurance your loan carries. Please contact the mortgage department for specific information on your loan.
- Can I really get a loan to renovate an older or foreclosed home?