Mechanical Repair Coverage
MEMBER’S CHOICE® Mechanical Repair Coverage can help deflect some risk of costly future, covered repairs keeping your vehicle running extra miles and extra years. With different coverage levels and deductibles to choose, there’s a plan to fit your family’s budget.
Whether you depend on your vehicle for work or getting your family to school and activities, you need transportation that’s safe and reliable. The older your vehicle, the more it takes to keep it in good working order. Not making small repairs can lead to even more expensive repairs and ignoring other repairs can be dangerous.
Ask about deductible options!
The miles can add up but the repair costs don’t have to.
- Good at any authorized repair facility in the U.S. or Canada
- No loan on automobile required to purchase coverage
- 24-hour emergency roadside assistance
- Travel expense & rental reimbursement
- Transferable and cancel-able
- See all program details below
- Rental reimbursement: up to $35/day for 1-5 days (1-10 days for parts delay. Available on first day of covered repair.)
- 24-hour emergency roadside assistance: up to $100 per use. Includes towing, battery jump start, fluid delivery, flat tire assistance and lock-out service/
- Travel expense reimbursement: up to $200 per day 1-5 days for food, lodging and rental when a breakdown occurs more than 100 miles from home. (Not available to NY residents.)
- Transferable: to increase resale value. Only if sold privately. Subject to transfer fee.
- Cancelable: receive a full refund within the first 60 days or a pro-rated refund thereafter less an administrative fee.
- No out of pocket expense at time of mechanical repair: (except for any deductible and any repairs not covered by the policy)-the covered repair is paid directly to the authorized repair facility.
Mechanical Repair Coverage is only available for automobiles, and a loan at Spirit of Alaska or on the automobile is not required to purchase coverage.
Program details may vary by state. Ask a Member Services Representative for details or receive a quote by calling 907-459-5970. Mechanical Repair Coverage is provided and administered by Consumer Program Administrators, Inc. in all states except CA, where coverage is offered as insurance by Virginia Surety Company, Inc., in FL, LA , and OK, where coverage is provided and administered by Automotive Warranty Services of Florida, Inc. (Florida License #60023 and Oklahoma License #861338), all located at 175 West Jackson Blvd., Chicago Illinois 60604, 800.752.6265.
This coverage is made available to you by CUNA Mutual Insurance Agency, Inc. In CA, where Mechanical Repair Coverage is offered as insurance (form MBIP 08/16), it is underwritten by Virginia Surety Company, Inc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a loan with Spirit of Alaska to buy Mechanical Repair Coverage?
No, we offer Mechanical Repair Coverage whether or not your loan is here with us at Spirit of Alaska! Compare our very competitive rates with other offered products in the area.
What types of vehicles can I put under Mechanical Repair coverage?
Mechanical Repair coverage can only be used with automobile loans. Recreational vehicles and power toys are not available for coverage.
Other vehicle exclusions include:
- Vehicles used commercially
- Vehicles used for government or emergency services
- Salvage or rebuilt title vehicles
- Trucks rated more than 1 ton
- Motorhomes, motorcycles
- Non-U.S. Specification vehicles
“Modified” vehicles are eligible for coverage, but claims will be denied if resulting from the modifications made.
What type of deductible will I have to pay for repairs?
Deductibles are paid per repair visit, not per item repaired. Deductible options range from $0 to $500, depending on the coverage plan.
How do I know if my vehicle qualifies for a warranty?
Coverage is available for any new or used vehicle current through 15 model years old with 150,000 odometer miles or less at the time of coverage purchase. Exceptions exist for European/Luxury* vehicles, which only qualify with 100,000 miles or less.
*Includes: Audi, BMW, Fiat, Jaguar, LandRover, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche, Smart, Tesla, Volkswagen, Volvo
How can I pay for Mechanical Repair Coverage?
If you are purchasing MRC with a loan, you can finance the cost of the coverage into your payment, which is often the easiest and most convenient method. Alternately, you can pay for the coverage with cash, check or credit card to the credit union, especially if you are not financing a loan on the vehicle with us, or have a loan elsewhere.
Does sales tax apply?
Alaska does not charge sales tax on purchase of Mechanical Repair Coverage. However, a number of other states require sales tax to be collected on the sale of MRC. If you are currently living in one of these states when you purchase coverage with Spirit of Alaska, sales tax will be charged on the retail price.
District of Columbia
- Do I need a loan with Spirit of Alaska to buy Mechanical Repair Coverage?